Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Feeling Fall - Acorn Squash Bundt


Fall is such a sweet time of year; there are many ways to make it feel even more present in your home. Here in Texas our fall season seems to be rather short, and fickle. It's October and we were still having pretty warm (hot) days at the beginning of the month. I have learned to make the inside of my home match more with the season I want it to be, even when it feels different outside. 


Candles are the most helpful, especially if they throw a yummy scent, like "mulled cider". I burn a lot of candles (just like my mom). Sometimes I buy them and sneak them through the wood shop into the house, as Sam thinks I buy too many. It could be worse, it could be shoes, or purses.

Candles also help with lighting. During the fall you want it to feel cozy, because it should be cool and crisp outside. I like to filter some natural light in through the living room, but also leave some rooms darker with a few lamps on.

Next, the yummy fall treats! This year I discovered the delicious acorn squash. In fact, I didn't even know what they were until a Trader Joe's cashier asked me how I was going to cook mine. ??? 


Me: "Oh, I just bought it for decoration, I like the colors."

Cashier: "Hmmm....well I am not sure that this is the type of gourd that will last through the season, it will go bad."

Me: "Oh...people eat this?"

...and so my research began, how in the world does one eat this?


I found this recipe on Pinterest: Said She Said He


Put on my apron, set my oven to 350 F...and went for it.


I changed the recipe a little, well, a lot, but I always do this. In fact, I often change recipes to work with what I already have, or to add more flavor/texture.

2 Eggs - 1/2 C Brown Sugar - 1/2 C White Sugar - 1/3 C Coconut Oil

For the Acorn Squash:

I cut it in half and baked a couple days prior. Strangely I put salt/pepper/curry power on it thinking I would eat it with chicken, but that didn't happen, so yes, this bundt cake has curry power in it, but trust me, it works out. 


Brown sugar is so so pretty!


I chose to purée these ingredients, because the squash is a little stringy. 


It smoothed out nicely.


Dry Ingredients:

1 C Whole Wheat Flour - 1/2 C Pancake Mix (I am trying to get rid of it.)
1/4 Teas. Salt - 1 TBL Half Baking Power/ Half Baking Soda
1 Teas. Cinnamon - 1/2 Teas. Nutmeg


Powerful granules that make your home smell delicious! 


Sift together in a separate bowl.


Combine


Instead of walnuts I chose 1/3 C Dry Roasted Almonds and 1/2 C Dark Chox Chips


Chopped it up in the Ninja...mixed into the batter





Greased up the bundt pan with coconut oil


It smells yummy! 

My bundt took about 35 minutes to bake through, I left it in for 40 and it came out a tad dry. 



Clean the dishes while you wait.


 A delicious acorn squash bundt (with secret curry powder). 




 Now my home really feels like fall!

It's 60 F outside, and rainy;

my "Mulled Cider" candle is burning;

my house smells like cinnamon and nutmeg;

oh, and do forget the choral music...

and the coffee!!!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment